Press Release from Bill Haslam for Governor; Sept. 7, 2010:
Events Highlight Growing Momentum for Knoxville Mayor
NASHVILLE – Republican gubernatorial candidate and Knoxville Mayor Bill Haslam’s campaign announced an impressive calendar of regional fundraisers and event leadership for the General Election.
The events and leadership show the tremendous confidence in Bill Haslam, his experience and his ability to lead our state as our next Governor. Tennesseans from across the state are coalescing behind him as the best prepared to take on this state’s challenges, make it the No. 1 location in the Southeast for jobs and capitalize on its unique opportunities.
The events are:
• September 16 in Memphis: hosted by Barbara and Pitt Hyde, Dina and Brad Martin, Amy and Bill Rhodes, and Diane and Fred Smith
• September 21 in Jackson: hosted by Alice and Carl Kirkland, Jimmy Wallace and Gary Taylor
• September 22 in Parsons: hosted by Janet and Jim Ayers and Fran and Scooter Clippard
• September 24 in Chattanooga: hosted by Elizabeth and Sen. Bob Corker with Honey and Sen. Lamar Alexander in attendance
• September 27 in Limestone: hosted by Sandy and Jim Powell and Lieutenant Governor Ron Ramsey
• September 28 in Knoxville: hosted by Cindi and Pete DeBusk
• October 4 in Nashville: hosted by Karyn and former Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist and chaired by Steve Smith.
“These events showcase the strong statewide support for Bill Haslam and his vision to make Tennessee the No. 1 location in the Southeast for jobs,” said Kim Kaegi, Campaign Finance Director. “With only five weeks until early voting starts, these events should put the campaign in a great position.”
“Crissy and I are incredibly grateful to all of the Tennesseans from each of our great state’s 95 counties who have already been so generous to us, but I promised we’ll keep working and we’re doing that,” Haslam said. “I’m humbled by the people that have stepped forward to host for us, and we truly appreciate their efforts as we work toward the start of early voting on Oct. 13 and Election Day Nov. 2.”
Mayor Haslam is the two-term Republican Mayor of Knoxville, reelected in 2007 with 87 percent of the vote. A hardworking public servant, Haslam led Knoxville to become one of the top ten metropolitan areas for business and expansion, while reducing the city’s debt, tripling the rainy day fund, reducing the number of city employees to the lowest amount in 15 years and bringing property taxes to the lowest rate in 50 years. An executive leader with a proven record of success, he helped grow his family’s small business from 800 employees into one of Tennessee’s largest companies with 14,000 employees.
For more information on Bill Haslam, please visit www.BillHaslam.com.