NASHVILLE, TN – Democratic Caucus Chairman Mike Turner appeared on MSNBC’s “Politics Nation with Al Sharpton” this evening affirming his newfound opposition to a law that requires voters show a photo ID in order to vote. On Wednesday, Turner filed legislation to repeal the new Republican-led law that protects the integrity of our electoral process.
This comes after Representative Turner gave vocal support for the legislation in a committee hearing and on the House floor in April of this year.
“Mike Turner has taken his blatant flip-flop to the liberal airwaves of MSNBC. I guess he figured he would get a pass from Al Sharpton, and allowed to read his Democrat talking points that only further scare senior citizens about this law and not inform them,” said Tennessee Republican Party Chairman Chris Devaney.
“Democrats like Mike Turner need to quit playing politics with our elections by saying one thing then doing the complete opposite. While it seemed in April that there would be bipartisan support for protecting our elections, Democrats now seem to have their doubts about preserving eligible voters’ ballots,” said Devaney.
On April 5, 2011, Representative Turner went on record supporting HB 7, sponsored by Rep. Debra Maggart, during a State & Local Government Committee hearing:
- Regarding free photo IDs for voters: “I don’t have a problem with this bill at all if we’re gonna pay for it.” This new law provides IDs at no charge to voters.
- Regarding the ‘difficulty’ to obtain a photo ID: “Now, if you’re not willing to go get a free ID, then maybe, you know, you shouldn’t deserve to vote.”
- Mike Turner’s conclusion in April: “I’m okay with securing the election. I think it’s great.”
On April 14, 2011, Turner echoed his praise for the legislation (SB 16 by Maggart) on the House floor:
- “Ladies and gentlemen, I have said four times, five times now that I’ll vote for this bill if it’s funded and it’s not a poll tax.”
- “Democrats are not against this bill.”
Video of Rep. Turner’s comments from the committee hearing and House floor can be found HERE.