Press release from the Tennessee Transgender Political Coalition (TTGPC); April 2, 2012:
During the first three months of 2012, the Tennessee Transgender Political Coalition was active doing the following:
- Lobbied members of the Tennessee General Assembly during the current session. Worked to pass legislation to add “gender identity or expression” to Hate Crimes statute, to permit gender changes on Tennessee Birth Certificates, to repeal a discriminatory voter Suppression law and a ban on local non-discrimination ordinances, along with fighting against new legislation that would discriminate against LGBT persons, including bills to silence teachers from discussing sexual diversity, to permit exemptions for bullying, and to destroy Gay-Straight Alliances.
- Continued lobbying Members of Congress and educating the public as part of the United ENDA campaign in support of the Employment Non Discrimination Act and opposing attempts to remove gender identity or expression from employment protections, as well as lobbying in favor of equal rights for all LGBT persons.
- Participating as a co-plaintiff in Howe v. Haslam to defend the right of local governments to adopt non discrimination legislation.
- Appeared on Out and About Today on News Channel 5+ on January 6 to 8.
- Held Winter Membership Meeting in Nashville on January 14.
- Participated in Bully Free Tennessee at Tennessee Tech University in Cookeville on January 21.
- Participated in Creating Change: National Conference on LGBT Equality in Baltimore, January 25 to 29.
- Trans Advocacy Network, at Creating Change, Baltimore. Photo courtesy of Marisa Richmond.
- Participated in Diversity Day panel for Leadership Nashville on February 2.
- Co-hosted Community Education Forum with P-FLAG Maryville at Maryville College on February 18.
- Held Send a Valentine to Your Legislators Day on February 14.
- Participated in Community Networking event in Nashville on February 22.
- Participated in the 8th Annual Advancing Equality Day on the Hill, organized by the Tennessee Equality Project, in Nashville on March 12 and 13.
- Transgender lobbyists at Advancing Equality Day on the Hill. Photo courtesy of Marisa Richmond.
- Spoke at L-Club Dinner in Nashville on March 17.
Upcoming for Second Quarter 2012
- Will participate in Upper Cumberland Pride on May 5.
- Will hold Community Education Forum in Johnson City on May 17.
- Will participate in Nashville Pride on June 16.
- Will participate in Knoxville PrideFest in June.
The Tennessee Transgender Political Coalition (TTPC) is an organization designed to educate and advocate on behalf of transgender related legislation at the Federal, State and local levels. Founded in 2003, TTPC is dedicated to raising public awareness and building alliances with other organizations concerned with equal rights legislation.
For more information, or to make a donation, contact:Tennessee Transgender Political Coalition (TTPC) P.O. Box 92335 Nashville, TN 37209 http://ttgpac.com TGPAC@aol.com 615.293.6199 615.353.1834 fax TTPC on Facebook Suzy Wong’s House of Yum 1515 Church Street Nashville, Tennessee 37203 email@example.com 615.329.2913