Press release from the Tennessee Republican Party; January 28, 2013:
NASHVILLE, Tenn.—With a joint session of the General Assembly hosting him, Governor Bill Haslam today delivered the annual State of the State address to an audience of lawmakers, citizens, and members of the media.
The speech outlined the numerous successes of the first two years of the Haslam Administration and provided a preview of the top priorities for the Governor as the new legislative session gets underway.
Among the highlights:
- Tennessee’s unemployment rate is at its lowest level in five years;
- A continued focus on strengthening education because every child deserves access to a high quality education in Tennessee;
- Streamlining state government to ensure a customer-focused approach is at the heart of all services.
Following the address, Tennessee Republican Party Chairman Chris Devaney stated, “Once again, Governor Haslam has shown he is a gifted reformer-in-chief who understands the concerns of Tennesseans right now. As you go around the state, people are talking about job opportunities, education reform, and limiting government. The Governor hit on all those points and presented a clear vision for achievement here in Tennessee.”
In his first two years as Governor, Haslam has presided over a litany of impressive conservative victories:
- Cut wasteful spending from the state budget, ensuring more efficient use of taxpayer dollars;
- Cut taxes for all Tennesseans, including the death tax, Hall tax, and grocery tax.
- Conducted a top-to-bottom review of all executive departments to find areas of waste, fraud, and abuse.
- Significant education reforms that place a priority on student achievement and teacher excellence
- Protected the health care rights of Tennesseans by rejecting the implementation of an ObamaCare health insurance exchange.
“70 percent of citizens approve of the work Governor Haslam has done,” remarked Devaney. “After tonight, I believe 100 percent of the state can take pride in the man who is leading Tennessee.”