NASHVILLE – The Tennessee Historical Commission has announced three Tennessee sites have been added to the National Register of Historic Places.
The National Register of Historic Places is the nation’s official list of cultural resources worthy of preservation. It is part of a nationwide program that coordinates and supports efforts to identify, evaluate and protect historic resources. The Tennessee Historical Commission, as the State Historic Preservation Office, administers the program in Tennessee.
“The National Register is an honorary recognition for time-honored places that enrich our communities and make them unique,” State Historic Preservation Officer and Executive Director of the Tennessee Historical Commission Patrick McIntyre said. “We hope this recognition helps generate and reinforce an appreciation for these special properties, so they can be retained for present and future generations of Tennesseans.”
Sites recently added to the National Register of Historic Places include:
- Leadvale Coaling Station and Cut-Off – Located in the Rankin Bottoms Wildlife Management Area, the Leadvale Coaling Station and Cut-off is an important representation of the transportation history and engineering ability of the Southern Railway in Cocke County. Almost two miles of the former rail line, a bridge abutment, concrete foundations, remains of a powerhouse and the 1,000 ton concrete coaling tower are the main features of this property. Coaling stations were needed to power steam engines and this one operated from 1925 until 1942, when the Southern Railway abandoned the line – 10 years before the company changed to using diesel engines.
- Mt. Pisgah Missionary Baptist Church and Cemetery – Located on Scarce Creek about two miles northwest of Wildersville in rural Henderson County, the Mt. Pisgah Missionary Baptist Church and Cemetery is an important example of vernacular church architecture in the county. The circa 1895, one-story frame building is sided with weatherboard, rests on a stone pier foundation, has multi-pane windows and the two front entries characteristic of many rural churches. Pine tongue-and-groove floors and the original pews are found inside the church. The cemetery was established circa 1835 when the first Mt. Pisgah church was built. After a fire in the 1890s, the current church building was erected. Few changes have occurred to the building. Today, services are held twice a month and revivals are held twice a year.
- Richland – Richland is a historic farm complex located near Blaine in Grainger County. Named for the Richland Creek that runs through the property, the complex is comprised of almost eight acres and 10 historic resources. The principal resource is the 1890s house known as the Lea House. The two-story solid brick residence is a fine example of Federal architecture, as is seen in the main entry with transom and sidelights, jack arch lintels, Flemish bond brick with a molded brick cornice and the interior woodwork. Several mid-twentieth century outbuildings are on the property, as are a historic bridge and roadbed. The Lea family farmstead is one of the earlier settlements in the county, and members of the Lea family were prominent in the community. The complex is an excellent example of settlement patterns, agricultural patterns and social history in Grainger County.
Links to each of the completed nomination forms can be found in the site descriptions listed above. For more information about the National Register of Historic Places or the Tennessee Historical Commission, please visit the website at www.tn.gov/environment/history.