Press release from Tennessee Democratic Party Chair Mary Mancini; February 12, 2015:
After Republicans such as Sen. Todd Gardenhire (R-Chattanooga-has his choice of two health care plans) and Sen. Kerry Roberts (R- Springfield-defended his vote based on false information) tried to kill Insure Tennessee last week in a special legislative session and thereby deny 300,000 hardworking Tennesseans access to affordable health care, Democrats introduced two bills and two resolutions today that will keep Insure Tennessee alive:
“State Senator Jeff Yarbro (D-Nashville)…has introduced two senate joint resolutions and one bill…The first resolution would allow Republican Gov. Bill Haslam to pursue his Insure Tennessee proposal in the regular General Assembly session. The second aims to authorize full expansion of the state’s Medicaid program, according to a news release….Yarbro’s bill (SB 885) would repeal legislation passed last year that would require the governor to get the General Assembly’s approval before expanding the state’s Medicaid population under the Affordable Care Act….”Democratic lawmakers agree this issue is too important to let drop just because the governor’s own party let him down,” House Democratic Caucus Chairman Mike Stewart (D-Nashvillle) said…”We are committed to finding a way to bring affordable health care to Tennesseans.” State Sen. Lee Harris (D-Memphis) also filed a bill Thursday to make part-time state employees eligible for the same health insurance plans available to state lawmakers.” (Read more...)
Please share this story far and wide (here’s the link: http://goo.gl/rQfSM8) and let folks know that:
- Tennessee Democrats stand up strong for hardworking Tennesseans.
- Tennessee Democrats stand up strong for families.
- Tennessee Democrats have compassion for the 800 Tennesseans who have already died waiting for healthcare.
- Tennessee Democrats have the fiscal sense to accept back one billion dollars in federal funds that hardworking
- Tennesseans have already paid to the federal government.
- Tennessee Democrats can be trusted to look out for the 300,000 hardworking Tennesseans that would have access to affordable healthcare once Insure Tennessee is passed.
- Tennessee Democrats put the people first!