Press Releases

Roughly $619,000 in Roadway Landscaping Grants Going to 12 TN Cities

State of Tennessee Press Release, Dec. 17, 2009:

Grants Awarded through TDOT’s Environmental Division

NASHVILLE — Governor Phil Bredesen announced $618,806 in Roadscapes Grants today that will be awarded to 12 Tennessee cities. The grants will be used to assist local communities with landscaping improvements to area roadways.

“These funds will help make improvements along the roadways that serve as the front door to our communities,” said Bredesen. “Well-planned landscaping programs create an inviting atmosphere that can boost local economies and improve the quality of life for citizens.”

The Tennessee Roadscapes initiative was developed in 2006 as a partnership between community organizations across the state and TDOT to create inviting spaces through an integrated approach to roadside landscaping. TDOT funds 80 percent of the cost of a project with the grant recipient contributing the remaining 20 percent. Grants are derived from federal funds that are specifically earmarked for roadway enhancement projects.

(View recipient cities.)

“The Roadscapes program creates an opportunity to showcase the roadways and natural beauty of our state,” said TDOT Commissioner Gerald Nicely. “It’s important to create welcoming places for people to live and work and to build a sense of pride in one’s community.”

The Tennessee Roadscapes program includes a variety of environmental stewardship and beautification programs:

  • Landscaping with naturalized flowers and native flowering trees
  • Memorials and parks
  • Roadside tree planting
  • Exotic and invasive plant removal
  • Litter cleanup and prevention education programs
  • Adopt-A-Highway and Adopt-A-Spot programs
  • Community landscaping at intersections, street corners, medians, entrances, and gateways

For more information about the Tennessee Roadscapes program, go here.